Saturday, September 4, 2010

76"



Spent this Saturday adding much donated yarn to the Giant Yarn Ball- thanks to everyone for the leftovers!

The GYB now weighs 60lbs, and is difficult for me to lift, although still relatively easy to roll and rotate as I'm winding.

Among the bags of yarn I was using, I came across a small number of handmade yarn balls wrapped so that they could be pulled from the center, like commercial skeins of yarn.  I unrolled one to see how it was made, and it seemed that the yarn was simply wrapped in alternating bands always at right angles to one another, with the center strand left long so it could hang out of the finished ball. I've never seen this trick before, and it works well!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bill.
    When the yarn comes in 200-400 yard hanks, it has to be wound into a center pull ball. Otherwise it would be almost impossible to knit with it. There is a ball winder and a swift involved and it does make nice, neat "yarn cakes" with a center pull cord.
    Love seeing the progress!

    ReplyDelete